The Woodman Public House, Blackfen Road, Blackfen, c. 1931





The old and the new. The first photograph shows the old pub with a glimpse of the new pub being built behind it.

The second photograph is the new Woodman public house looking across Blackfen Road from the junction of Wellington Avenue.

Note the Reffells Brewery sign to the left.

Reffells had leased the pub from as long ago as 1899 but did not acquire the freehold until the summer of 1930.

Even before negotiations were complete plans for a projected rebuild were being drawn up. The present pub was erected behind the old pub in 1931 and only then was the original demolished.

The new pub was designed by Kenneth Dalgliesh whose initials are set in a small stone block alongside the entrance to the public bar.

See historic maps of Blackfen