The Woodman Public House, Blackfen Road, Blackfen, c. 1950




Looking at the Woodman public house from Westwood Lane. The junction of Days Lane and Blackfen Road can just be seen in the distance to the left.

The Woodman was first built in 1845 and local brewers, Reffells, leased the pub from 1899. But it was not until the summer of 1930 that they acquired the freehold.

The present pub, seen here, was erected behind the old pub in 1931 and only then was the original demolished allowing continuity of business.

The Woodman pub sign, also seen in the photograph, was a rare example of fretted tin depicting a woodman wielding an axe at a tree. Its present whereabouts is unknown!

See historic maps of Blackfen