The Tannery, Crayford, 1951


The tanning and leather mills were situated by Crayford Bridge opposite the Bear and Ragged Staff Public House.

They had originally been part of the Swaisland Printing Works.

The raw material came mainly from New Zealand and Australia, and was supplemented from domestic sources.

The skins reached Crayford in barrels and were soaked and washed in water and then painted on the inner side with a mixture of sodium sulphide and lime, which removed the wool. The wool was washed, dried, baled and sold.

In 1911 the business was taken over by the Murgatroyd Brothers.

The premises were sold in 1951 and were finally demolished in 1952.

See historic maps of Crayford