High Street, Erith, 1950

High Street, Erith, 1950




Looking up Erith High Street from the junction with Avenue and Manor Road.

In 1936 George Coles, the well known architect, designed the 'Odeon', Erith, as an absolutely typical Odeon, with its slim faience-faced advertising tower contrasting with the more horizontally emphasized brick and faience body of the cinema.

It opened on 26 February 1938 and seated 1,240 people. The cinema was later used as a bingo hall but now stands empty awaiting demolition.

The Odeon Cinema is at the right. 

See historic maps of Erith