Erith from the Thames, 1936

Erith from the Thames, 1936


A view of Erith from the river, showing the huge flour mills of Cannon and Gaze in the centre.

The tall building of Cannon and Gaze was a relic of the days when flour-milling was a local industry.

The original mill belonged to Fletcher & Gaze, who amalgamated in 1892 with Stephen Cannon of Bexley Mill to form Cannon & Gaze Ltd of Erith.

New mills were built in 1903, after the original was destroyed by fire and the greater part was demolished in 1937 to make way for the Riverside Gardens.

The spire of Christ Church can be seen in the background.

Copyright: Topham Picture Source.

See historic maps of Erith