Forest Road, Slade Green, 1955
The original library at Slade Green had been in a room in North End School which had opened in 1932. By the 1950s the population of Slade Green had risen to 6,000 and the search was on for more suitable premises.
Approval for a new library was given in 1948 but with little prospect of one being built due to post-war building restrictions.
By 1951 the restrictions had eased and approval was given to build a block comprising shops and flats in Forest Road.
It was decided to lease one of the shop units and fit it out as a library, which opened on 24th March l954.