Beckenham Road, Beckenham, 1893

Beckenham Road, Beckenham, 1893

This view of Beckenham Road shows the changing scene as Beckenham turned from country village to suburb.

On the left is the Clock House, one of a number of houses owned by the Cator family, the prime movers behind the development of both Beckenham and Blackheath in the 19th century.

Dating from 1723 it is about to make way for the Beckenham Technical Institute and Baths.

On the right is Elm Road Baptist Church which opened in 1883 and was designed by Edward Mountfield, architect of the Old Bailey. The houses around it were built as part of the same development. In the right foreground is the future site of Clock House Parade.

Clock House Station, behind the photographer, opened in 1890 making this part of Beckenham particularly attractive for new development.

See historic maps of Beckenham