33 Crystal Palace Park Road, Beckenham, 1968

33 Crystal Palace Park Road, Beckenham, 1968 

When Crystal Palace Park was laid out c.1852, the original road from Dulwich to Beckenham was routed in a curve around the northern end of the Park.

From 1871 the south side was developed with a series of impressive houses, built, as were most of the houses by John Norton, the Architect of the Crystal Palace Estate and a pupil of Pugin.

This one was called 'The Vale' for many years and was originally the home of Thomas Muggeridge, a corn dealer. Divided into flats around 1920, it was demolished in 1977 when a new entrance to the park, Vale Gate, was created.

Copyright: Greater London Authority (LMA).

See historic maps of Beckenham