Belmont School, Southborough Road, Bickley, c. 1910





Belmont School opened in 1901 in a house formerly known as 'South Barrow'.

At its heart was a pre-Victorian building possibly dating back to the 17th century, but it was altered and enlarged on numerous occasions in the last half of the 19th century to create this rambling structure reflecting the different tastes and ideas of successive owners.

Catering for the 'daughters of gentlemen' it fitted in well with the genteel atmosphere of Edwardian Bickley, but closed in 1922.

Renamed 'The Cloisters', the building became an old people's home, an hotel and finally an office of the War Damage Commission.

It was demolished around 1954 and replaced by Birdham Close.

See historic maps of Bickley