Buller's Wood, Bickley, 1973

Buller's Wood, Bickley, 1973



Originally built in the 1860s as the home of William Adams, Buller's Wood, was named after an ancient wood.

It was bought in the early 1870s by John Sanderson, a Scot merchant who spent the next thirty years improving and adding to the house under the guidance of Ernest Newton, his first important commission.

It remains one of his most respected houses. Much of the interior decoration was by William Morris.

Taken over by the School of Church Music in 1930 it became a girl's secondary school soon after the war.

Copyright Kentish Times.

See historic maps of Bickley