St Mark's Church, Main Road, Biggin Hill, Bromley, 1979
St Mark's looks very much like a building of the 1950s. It was designed by R. Gilbert Scott, son of the architect of Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral, and consecrated in 1959.
Much of the fabric is considerably older as it previously formed All Saints Church, North Peckham. When that church fell into disuse its fabric was dismantled, moved to Biggin Hill and reconstructed under the supervision of (and frequently by) the vicar, Vivian Symons.
The building replaced a small iron church of 1904, which by 1950 was too small to serve the needs of the increasing population.
Copyright Kentish Times.