Lennard Hospital, Bromley Common, 1988

Lennard Hospital, Bromley Common, 1988 

Opening in 1885 as the Bromley and Beckenham Hospital for infectious diseases, it was enlarged substantially during the 1920s when this building was erected to cater for the whole of west Kent.

Following the war it gained the name Lennard from Sir John Lennard, former chairman of the workhouse board of guardians, and was gradually converted into a geriatric hospital.

Closing in 1984, the building was derelict at the time this picture was taken and it was demolished soon afterwards to make way for a new housing estate.

Further down the lane and deep in the woods of Crofton Heath was the smallpox isolation unit which was opened from about 1900 to 1956.

See historic maps of Bromley Common