Phillips Homeopathic Hospital, Bromley c. 1889
This is a picture of contrasts. On the left is Park Road, leading to the suburb of New Bromley, by this time well established. On the right is the narrow Widmore Lane leading out into the country lined by the boundary wall of the private Bromley Palace estate owned by Sir Coles Child, Lord of the Manor.
Named in memory of Dr. Robert Phillips, who popularised homeopathy in the town and opened his practise in a pre-existing building in 1889.
The hospital soon proved so popular that a purpose built hospital was opened in Queen's Gardens in 1900 to meet the demand for its services.
Behind the hospital are some of the earliest Victorian houses in the town built in the 1850s and popular from the start with incomers.
In recent years the old hospital has had many uses including a garage and a language school. It has recently been replaced with offices.