Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Tynley Road, Bromley, 1976



There was a Methodist society at Widmore as early as 1772, John Wesley being among the early visitors.

A small rural chapel opened in 1776 but this was replaced in 1885 by the chapel seen here, reflecting the recent growth of population around Widmore Green.

Initially part of the Deptford circuit, in 1866, as London grew, Lewisham and Bromley were hived off and Bromley became a circuit in its own right in 1876.

The chapel closed in 1975 due to its poor physical condition and a declining congregation, being taken over by a housing association. The nearest Methodist church is now in central Bromley.

Copyright: Morris Walker.

Contact Bromley Local Studies and Archives.

See historic maps of Bromley