Bickley Arms Hotel, Chislehurst, c. 1870

Bickley Arms Hotel, Chislehurst, c. 1870

Opening about 1870 at the corner of Chislehurst Hill and the station approach to serve the station, the Bickley Arms Hotel is pictured here before the subsequent development that now surrounds it.

It became a popular tourist destination during the Edwardian times as the famous Chislehurst Caves could be entered through the hotel gardens.

These chalk mines were believed by many to date back to Saxon times but are now considered to be mainly 18th and 19th century workings.

Now simply a pub, it was renamed "Ye Olde Stationmaster" in 1997, but has recently reverted to its original name, "The Bickley Arms".

See historic maps of Chislehurst