Mill Place, Chislehurst, c. 1910
Mill Place is named after the windmill, which stood just to the right of this picture. Erected in 1796 it survived until 1876.
Isolated from the rest of the village on the edge of the common, the community, which developed in the first half of the 19th century, had their own church and school.
Mainly the home of local workers, in recent years it has become popular with commuters, being handy for the station.
At the top of the picture is the Imperial Arms (originally 'the Windmill'), named after Napoleon III, who was exiled to Chislehurst in 1870.