C. W. S. Hall, St Mary Cray, 1934


This hall is a building with a long unrecorded history, built in about 1845 on the site of the home of William Joynson, the owner of the local paper mill.

Part of a small isolated and rather grand development, Joyson may have lived here too for a while, before moving to the ancient Rookery, a few yards to the north, but by 1862 it had become a school.

When this picture was taken in 1934 it was a Co-operative Hall. To the left are the gardens of the Co-op cottages

After the war it became the Star Club and after a vacant period was converted in 1996 into flats, known at Latimer Court.

Copyright: Topham Picture Source

See historic maps of Cray Valley