Market Meadow, St Mary Cray, c. 1936


St. Mary Cray, originally known as South Cray, had had a market in medieval times, complete with a market hall. But by the time the hall was destroyed in the Great Storm of 1703, it was virtually moribund.

The site was adjacent to Manor Farm, shown on the right in this photograph, being demolished.

Dating in part from the 15th century, it is believed to be the original Manor House.

The building of the Sevenoaks Way in 1926 made the site perfect for industrial use and by 1939 the farm had been replaced by Morphy Richards factory, now the Nugent industrial park.

A small part of the original meadow survives near to the river.

See historic maps of Cray Valley