St Mary Cray Station, Cray Valley, c. 1905


Opening in 1860 as part of the London, Chatham and Dover Railway (LCDR) extension from Rochester to Bickley, the original station was on the site of the current car park.

Initially built in the standard LCDR style as pictured here, the area remained rural until after the opening of the Sevenoaks Way in 1926.

For many years one of the main activities was the unloading of London stable manure. This was used in the many nearby market gardens and orchards. Paper from the valley mills would go in the other direction.

In 1936 the Southern Railway built a new station on the other side of the line reflecting the rapid growth of the area.

At this time electric trains began to call.

Quadrupling of the line in 1959 caused the changes that give the station it's present appearance.

See historic maps of Cray Valley