The Lodge, St Mary Cray Cemetery, c. 1920
The expanding population in the late 19th century put huge pressure on the local graveyards, which had not been designed to cope with such numbers of deaths as were then occurring.
St. Mary Cray (usually known as Star Lane Cemetery) was one of the largest, opening in 1884.
As well as an attractive chapel, the cemetery was also provided with this ornate lodge (now demolished).
Despite extensions, the only long-term solution was the creation of public cemeteries away from the town and village centres.