C. A. Smallbone Ltd., Hayes Street, Hayes, c. 1933


Opening in 1933, this off licence was the first shop on the west side of Hayes Street.

Over the next few years shops spread, first north from here as Premier Parade, and in the 1950s, to the south.

The ancient wall of Hayes Place on the left is in the process of demolition.

Smallbone's became part of the Foster's Chain after the war, but is now once again an independent off licence.

See historic maps of Hayes