Hayes Hill Estate, Pondfield Road, Hayes, c. 1939


Earlier to start than many of its neighbours, the Hayes Hill estate was the idea of Captain S. Gilchrist Thompson, son of Canon Percy Thompson, vicar and local historian.

Buying part of the Pickhurst Manor estate in the mid 1920s, he divided the land into plots, each house being designed individually.

Finding sales were slow, Thompson and his partner Ellis moved into other more lucrative projects in the early 1930s, leaving G. E. Spencer, a West Wickham based builder and the main developer of the Pickhurst Manor estate to finish the development. 

This view shows Pondfield Road from the junction with Hayes Hill. Apart from more mature gardens the road is little changed today

See historic maps of Hayes