Sir Robert Geffyre Almshouses, Mottingham, 1967


Originally built in 1715 by the Ironmongers' Company using a bequest from Sir Robert Geffyre, the company moved to Mottingham in 1912, showing that institutions as well as individuals were influenced by the rush to the suburbs and a desire for clean air.

Designed by the Iron-mongers' Company surveyor and local resident George Hubbard they housed "ladies of restricted means", often retired governesses.

In 1972, the residents were moved to new self-contained flats at Hook in Hampshire and the building passed first to the Greater London Council and later to Bromley Council.

It is now run by Broomleigh Housing Association.

Copyright G. L. A.

See historic maps of Mottingham