Mayfield House, High Street, Orpington, Bromley, c. 1928
Originally known at Little Orpington, a manor dating back to Domesday, this building dated from 1750. By the 20th century its position in the centre of the High Street with plenty of grounds made it vulnerable to redevelopment.
Following the death of the last owner Mary Vinson, in 1927, the area in front was covered with shops, the beginings of which are illustrated here.
The house was offered for sale to the town but ratepayers decided it was too expensive and after being rejected as council offices it was demolished around 1935.