Aynscomb House, High Street, Orpington, Bromley, c. 1890
Although its railway station opened in 1868, Orpington was comparatively late to develop. This picture, taken more than 20 years later, shows the still rural High Street.
Aynscomb House, previously named Angle End House was the property of the Harris family for many years, Aynscomb being an old family name. The small development of Aynscomb Angle (c. 1900) opposite is a combination of the two names.
Used for a while as the town post office Aynscomb House was substantially altered in the early 1930's and converted into shops.