St John's Boys School, Penge, c. 1910



Penge's first school, St.John's, opened in 1837 as Penge Chapel on what was then Penge Common, now the corner of the High Street and Croydon Road.

Functioning as a Sunday school and church until the opening of the Parish Church in 1850 it then became a day school.

Originally mixed, it converted to a boys' school following the building of new infants' and girls' schools in Maple Road in the 1860s.

The school closed in 1937, the boys transferred to the infants' and girls' schools site and the building was demolished to be replaced by shops.

Note the tram entering Croydon road on the right.

See historic maps of Penge