The Anchor, Hawthorne Grove, Penge, 1913 and c. 1930






The Anchor dates from before 1866 and is situated on the corner of Hartfield Grove. It was probably built as part of the Anerley estate development of 1851, the first phase of true suburbanisation in Penge.

Run for many years by Richard Winnifrith, latterly as an off licence, it was a victim of the dense provision of pubs in the area and looks ready for demolition in this view.

Surprisingly this was not the case. After lying derelict for another 15 years the building was refurbished as flats.

The first photograph taken on 27th November 1913 and the second photograph was taken c.1930.




See historic maps of Penge