Station Square, Petts Wood, 1954
The building of a station on the railway to Orpington was an essential prerequisite to the development of the Petts Wood area.
Basil Scruby, the developer of the Petts Wood area, part financed its construction.
The station opened in 1928, but such was the success of the residential development it encouraged that it was enlarged twice in the same decade.
Scruby also laid out Station Square, which was to become the district's main shopping area.
The pub name, The Daylight Inn, refers to the campaign of local resident, William Willett, for daylight saving. Note the overwhelming mock-Tudor styles, including the municipal public lavatories.
Copyright Topham Picture Source. Contact Bromley Local Studies and Archives.