Deptford New Town: A 19th century working class estate

Transport Links

Although railways came early to south-east London - Londonís first railway ran through Deptford - they did not greatly influence St Johnísí development. Although Lewisham station opened in 1849 and New Cross a year later, the area did not have a station of its own until 1871 and two years later had a second. The first was St Johnís, between Lewisham and New Cross on the South Eastern Railwayís line, and the second was Lewisham Road on the London, Chatham and Doverís Greenwich Park Line. The former is still in operation (though St Johnís station receive a more restricted service than its neighbours) while the latter closed in 1916.