Ice House, Brooklands Park, Blackheath, c. 1939


The beehive shaped brick built icehouse in the centre of the picture was attached to Brooklands House, built in 1827, part of the Cator Estate.

Half of the icehouse lay underground in order to preserve the large blocks of ice that were stored in the building.

When the 1930s development of Brooklands land took place the icehouse was destroyed.

A new 1930s house can be partly seen on the left, with the icehouse in the garden before it was demolished.

Photograph taken c. 1939. Copyright: Trustees of the late Alan Roger Martin.

See historic maps of Blackheath Park