The Hall and Brooklands House, Blackheath Park, c. 1939


Part of the Cator Estate, all four views show 'The Hall' in the background behind the trees.

Built in 1806, it was demolished together with other old houses in the 1950s for 'Span' developments.

The first image shows Brooklands House, seen in mid-ground, built in 1827. Designed by George Smith for his own use, it had 18 acres of gardens, lake and meadows attached to it, the south elevation seen here across formal gardens.

In 1909 the house and grounds became a sporting and social club and, in the mid-1930s a private development of some of its ground began and the rest was developed as a housing estate by London County Council in the 1950s.

Brooklands was converted into five flats, leaving some sport facilities intact.

Photographs taken c.1939. Copyright: Trustees of the late Alan Roger Martin

See historic maps of Blackheath Park