A View from near Ballast Quay, c. 1893



View from the west side of Greenwich peninsula with fishing boats and nets in the middle ground.

Between the Royal Hospital for Seamen (Old Royal Naval College) and the foreground can be seen Ballast Quay with its georgian houses and, close by, the pretty facade of Trinity Hospital Almshouses, a Greenwich Charity founded in 1614.

On the east (near) side of the Royal Hospital stands the "Old George" public house which was demolished in 1837 and replaced by the Trafalgar Tavern designed by Joseph Kay.

R. S. E. Gaillon, lithographer and artist; published by W. Day

See historic maps of Central Greenwich