A View of Greenwich from the River, 18th Century




A view of Greenwich from Deptford showing the Royal Hospital for Seamen (Old Royal Naval College), the town of Greenwich, St. Alfege's Church, and the Royal Observatory.

The Royal Hospital for Seamen, an almshouse for sailors, closed in 1869 and the buildings were taken over by the Royal Naval College.

The college has, in turn, gone and the University of Greenwich and Trinity College of Music occupy most of the glorious Baroque buildings.Engraved for Harrison's History of London, 18th Century.

See historic maps of Central Greenwich