Ship Tavern, River Front, Greenwich, c. 1860



The 'ministerial whitebait dinners', marking the end of each session of Parliament (until 1883), were held either at the Ship Tavern or, more famously, the Trafalgar Tavern.

The 'Ship', which stood on the site of the dry dock housing the Cutty Sark, was destroyed in World War II. The Trafalgar Tavern, however, is still a flourishing riverside pub and restaurant.











Drawn by Gustav Dore and engraved by Jomard, c.1860

See historic maps of Central Greenwich