The Dreadnought, River Front, Greenwich, c. 1840



A view from the Isle of Dogs of the Royal Hospital for Seamen (Old Royal naval College).

The Royal Observatory can be seen on the hill in Greenwich Park, and the towers of St. Alfege's Church and St. Mary's Church in the town.

Moored in the river on the right hand side is an old man of war which housed the Dreadnought Seamen's Hospital.

The Dreadnought moved ashore in 1870 taking over the former infirmary building of the Royal Hospital for Seamen which closed in 1869. The site now forms part of the University of Greenwich and the name Dreadnought lives on as the university's library building.

Print of a lithograph by W.Parrott.

See historic maps of Central Greenwich