The Dreadnought, River Front, Greenwich, 1872


The towing away of the old hulk which housed the Dreadnought Seamen's Hospital.

The Seamen's Hospital Society, created in 1821, set up a hospital for sailors on a series old men of war on the Thames at Greenwich.

The most famous of these was the "Dreadnought."

The hospital moved to a permanent building ashore in Greenwich in 1870 and the Dreadnought Seamen's Hospital finally closed in 1986. The site now forms part of the University of Greenwich and the name Dreadnought lives on as the university's library building.

The Tropical Diseases Hospital in Euston had its origins on the Dreadnought.

Engraving published by the Illustrated London News, 1872.

See historic maps of Central Greenwich