Charlton Village, c. 1910
The village street in Charlton is simply called "The Village".
Before World War II it still had a rural feel because the major thrust of development in Charlton was in New or Lower Charlton around the Woolwich Road and the riverside marshes.
Even today Charlton retains some distinctive village characteristics: the short main street, the Church, the remnant of the village green, and the manor House stand adjacent to one another.
Postcard, published by W.J.Squires, c.1910.