View From Maryon Park, Charlton, c. 1905


New Charlton and Charlton Vale from Cox's Mount, Maryon Park.

The typical "School Board for London" school on the right is Maryon Park School, opened in 1896 and now part of Greenwich Community College.

The road running towards the river is Hardens Manor Way with the "Lads of the Village" public house about half way down on the left. This pub is now called the "Thames Barrier Arms", named after the Thames flood barrier (opened 1983) which crosses the river at the left of the picture.

The large factory on the riverside is Siemens Brothers Telegraph Works.

Behind the factory can be seen the masts of the "Warspite", a training ship for boys run by the Marine Society.

See historic maps of Charlton