Severndroog Castle, Shooters Hill, 1801



Severndroog Castle was built in 1784 by Lady James of Eltham Park as a memorial to her husband Sir William James.

Sir William, a Captain in the East India Company, seized the fortess of Severndroog on the Malabar Coast of India in 1779 and was richly rewarded by the company for capturing this notorious haunt of pirates.

His actions helped to ensure safe travel for the company's ships.

Drawn and engraved by H.Hassell

See historic maps of Shooters Hill