Aerial View, Woolwich, c. 1925


The centre of Woolwich with Beresford Square and the market close to the main entrance (Beresford Gate) to the massive Royal Arsenal and the, now demolished, Holy Trinity Church, Beresford Square.

Plumstead Road runs past the wall of the Arsenal and becomes Beresford Street at Holy Trinity Church.

Powis Street, the centre of Woolwich's shopping centre can be seen running off diagonally left from Greens End.

In the foreground is Woolwich Arsenal Station. Opposite the station can be seen a railway cutting (the notorious "Smokehole").

In Woolwich New Road, adjoining the station, is the Duke of Connaught Coffee tavern (also demolished).

See historic maps of Woolwich