Beresford Square, Woolwich, c. 1900



Looking north east across Beresford Square with the main entrance (Beresford gate) to the Royal Arsenal on the left and Plumstead Road on the right. A tram stop is in the foreground.

The Beresford gate is now detached from the Arsenal - a dual carriageway separates the two. The building of the road required the demolition of all the Arsenal buildings adjacent to the wall.

The Beresford Gate, which was built in two parts, the lower section in 1829 and the superstructure 1891, is now a feature of Beresford Square, a popular marketplace, rather than an integral part of the Royal Arsenal.

See historic maps of Woolwich