Woolwich Ferry South Terminal, Woolwich, c. 1925


The south terminal of the old Woolwich Free Ferry with Woolwich Power Station (now demolished) on the left. Royal Arsenal Gardens now covers most of the site of the power station.
The London County Council opened Woolwich Free Ferry in 1889. The specially designed paddle steamers which operated the service were unforgettable for all who used them. During school holidays children were attracted to them in huge numbers - many summer holidays were spent going to and fro on the ferry.

Ferry approach, south of the terminal, led into Woolwich High Street and Hare Street.

The Waterfront Leisure Centre now covers Ferry Approach and the adjacent land. The rest of the Woolwich riverside seen here is very much changed.

See historic maps of Woolwich