Map of Central Greenwich, 1938

Map of Central Greenwich, 1938

The growth of Greenwich was largely complete by 1938.

Areas close to the riverside were being redeveloped by the London County Council: the Ernest Dence Estate at the northern end of Eastney Street was built in 1938, and the Meridian Estate, which today adjoins Cutty Sark Gardens, was under construction from 1933.

The Royal Hospital School which had been based in the Queens House and its wings, moved in 1933 to Holbrook in Suffolk. The buildings were then taken over by the National Maritime Museum which opened in 1937.

Many of the businesses and much of the housing was, of course, devastated by bombing in World War II. St. Alfege's Church, the ancient parish church of Greenwich, was particularly badly damaged during the war but was restored in the 1950s.

Click on the map for an enlarged image or click here for a larger, readable image (slower download).

Section from Ordnance Survey Map, 1938.