Map of Woolwich and Charlton, 1938

Map of Woolwich, Plumstead and Shooter's Hill, 1938  


Apart from Woolwich and Charlton Commons and the Repository Woods, Woolwich is completely developed by this date.

The commons and the woods had not been built on because they were the property of the Royal Regiment of Artillery. The Artillery barracks can be clearly seen at the north end of Woolwich Common.

The area around Charlton Village had a rural appearance until the 1930s when new streets of private housing were built adjacent to Charlton Park.

Click on the map for an enlarged image or click here for a larger, readable image (slower download).

Section from Ordnance Survey Map, 1938.