County Hall, Westminster Bridge Road, Lambeth North, 1939



View of York Road looking north across Westminster Bridge Road. The new extension blocks to the London County Hall are seen, with the New Bridge public house on extreme right and the National Provincial Bank opposite, at the junction of Westminster Bridge Road and Lambeth Palace Road.

County Hall, the headquarters of London County Council (LCC) for over sixty years was designed by Ralph Knott and built in phases from 1913. It was opened by King George V and Queen Mary on 17th July 1922. 

The Greater London Council (GLC), which replaced the LCC was abolished in 1986, and the County Hall now houses two hotels, the London Aquarium, and a permanent exhibition of the works of the artist Salvador Dali.