Lambeth Palace, Lambeth North, c. 1790



Lambeth Palace, the residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury, viewed from the Thames.

The Great Hall (now the Library) is in the centre, flanked on either side by Morton's Tower and Laud's Tower. Lambeth Church Stairs are on the right.

The landing stage for the horse-ferry (from Horseferry Road, Westminster), was replaced by a suspension bridge in 1861.

Bishop's Walk, to the left of the stairs, is now marked by Lambeth Palace Road and St Thomas's Hospital.

Engraving by an unknown artist, c.1790.