Maidstone Villas, Chapel Road, West Norwood, 1967


Maidstone Villas, a row of stone houses on Chapel Road, was presented to the community in 1860 by the philanthropist, Mr. Arthur Anderson, at the same time as The Lower Norwood Working Men's Institute, at the corner of Chapel Road and Knight's Hill.

Founder of the P & O shipping line, he was also an Member of Parliament from 1847 - 1853 and a director of the Crystal Palace Company.

The income from the Villas was used for the upkeep of the institute. These buildings have since been demolished.

Photograph taken in June 1967.