St Luke's Church, West Norwood, 1825


St.Luke's Church, West Norwood.

One of the four new Lambeth parish churches to be built in response to the growth of the population in the early 19th century.

Half the funding came from the government and the other half from the district in which each church was built.

Designed by Francis Bedford, construction of the church started in 1822 and was completed in 1825.

This view looks north, showing the rear of the church from Knights Hill.

Watercolour by G.Yates, 1825.