Mineral Wells, Valley Road, Streatham, c. 1890


The mineral wells in Valley Road contributed to the growth of Streatham Village, which expanded rapidly once the fame of the medicinal properties of its spas had spread.

The mineral water was delivered by the Curtis Brothers Dairy in Valley Road along with the milk in the early 1900s in delivery carts of the sort seen in this picture. They were drawn by men and women - not horses.

This picture, entitled 'Outside the Farm', shows the Well House that still exists on Valley Road in the centre of a new housing complex.

See historic maps of Streatham