Laurie's Map of London: Lambeth North and Waterloo, 1844


Map showing Waterloo and Lambeth North.

By 1844 we see more residential and developed areas in the northern half of Lambeth, particularly along the main roads and near the river.

River traffic is still a popular mode of transport, as can be seen from the many riverside stairs, such as Lambeth Stairs, seen next to the large garden of Lambeth Palace.

Bishops Walk to its left along the river was to be the site of St Thomas's Hospital in 1869, and Lambeth Suspension Bridge replaced Lambeth Stairs and the horse ferry in 1862.

Click on the map for an enlarged image or click here for a larger, readable image (slower download).

Extract from Laurie's Plan of London, Westminster and Southwark, surveyed by John Outhett and published by Richard Holmes Laurie, 1844.